Major League Soccer announced the top 25 best selling jerseys across the league this year on Friday. There is one familiar name to Columbus Crew fans.
In just his first year with the club, Argentine midfielder Lucas Zelarayan claimed the 23rd spot on the list, ahead of Cristian Roldan of the Seattle Sounders and Ezequiel Barco of Atlanta United in the top 25.
Zelarayan — though he battled with injuries — took Columbus by storm, scoring his first MLS goal in the home opener against New York City FC. He then added to his scoring by nailing a picture-perfect free kick against inter-state rivals FC Cincinnati in the team’s first meeting during the MLS is Back Tournament, a finish that is also a Goal of The Year candidate.
The Argentine playmaker made the most of this strange and condensed season, playing 16 games (12 starts) while registering six goals and four assists. As fans of every team do, Crew suppports enjoy a player who can help put the ball in the back of the net and the Zelarayan No. 10 jersey selling so well in his first season in MLS is indicative of that.
Here is the complete list of the top 25 best jersey sellers in MLS for 2020:
- Carlos Vela - Los Angeles Football Club
- Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez - LA Galaxy
- Josef Martinez - Atlanta United
- Jordan Morris - Seattle Sounders
- Rodolfo Pizarro - Inter Miami CF
- Gonzalo Higuain - Inter Miami CF
- Nani - Orlando City SC
- Raul Ruidiaz - Seattle Sounders
- Blaise Matuidi - Inter Miami CF
- Brenden Aaronson - Philadelphia Union
- Diego Valeri - Portland Timbers
- Alejandro Bedoya - Philadelphia Union
- Diego Chara - Portland Timbers
- Alan Pulido - Sporting KC
- Nicolas Lodeiro - Seattle Sounders
- Edison Flores - D.C. United
- Diego Rossi - LAFC
- Johnny Russell - Sporting KC
- Chris Wondolowski - San Jose Earthquakes
- Jonathan dos Santos - LA Galaxy
- Cristian Pavon - LA Galaxy
- Walker Zimmerman - Nashville SC
- Lucas Zelarayan - Columbus Crew
- Cristian Roldan - Seattle Sounders
- Ezequiel Barco - Atlanta United
These players represent 10 different countries, as determined by birthplace.
- Argentina (Diego Valeri, Cristian Pavon, Lucas Zelarayan, Ezequiel Barco)
- Colombia (Diego Chara)
- France (Gonzalo Higuain, Blaise Matuidi)
- Mexico (Carlos Vela, Javier ‘Chicharito’ Hernandez, Rodolfo Pizarro, Alan Pulido, Jonathan dos Santos)
- Peru (Raul Ruidiaz, Edison Flores)
- Portugal (Nani)
- Scotland (Johnny Russell)
- Uruguay (Nicolas Lodeiro, Diego Rossi)
- United States (Jordan Morris, Brenden Aaronson, Alejandro Bedoya, Chris Wondolowski, Walker Zimmerman, Cristian Roldan)
- Venezuela (Josef Martinez)
All six of the United States top jersey sellers have featured for the U.S. Men’s National Team, under the direction of former Black & Gold boss Gregg Berhalter. There are also eight players are 26-years-old or under to make the list in Aaronson (20), Barco (21), Flores (26), Morris (26), Pavon (24), Pizarro (26), Roldan (25) and Rossi (22).
The top jersey sellers, for the most part, are as expected but there is a surprise in that Valeri was not in the top 10. The Timbers playmaker sits just outside, at spot No. 11. It is equally as surprising that Rossi of LAFC is only at No. 17. Also, Martinez sitting at No. 3 despite missing all but one game due to a knee injury goes to show the passion Atlanta fans have for their team and striker.
One name that isn’t on the list that could have an argument to be is Union goalkeeper Andre Blake. One of the league’s best shot-stopper and a candidate for Goalkeeper of the Year, Blake not being on the list, despite his position, is surprising.