As the media members entered the EAS Training Center, most of the drills for the day had completed. Some of the attacking players, along with Harrison Afful, were working on crossing and finishing with assistant coach Josh Wolff.
Some of the other players juggled, while Wil Trapp played long balls with a coach before working on some finishing at the far end.
Head coach Gregg Berhalter spoke with the media after things wrapped up.
Conversation with Berhalter
- Berhalter said there are a lot of unknowns with NYCFC because Crew SC is yet to play them this late in the season. He said the game was rescheduled from the preliminary schedule, as the first meeting was supposed to happen earlier in the season.
- The head coach said New York certainly has quality. Berhalter called David Villa one of the best strikers in the league this year along with Crew SC's Kei Kamara and Toronto FC's Sebastian Giovinco. He talked about Villa competing every week, despite his talent.
- Berhalter mentioned some "unsung heroes" for City. Mentioned Thomas McNamara and Kwadwo Poku.
- Asked about Mix Diskerud, Berhalter said he's a solid piece to a team. He touched on Mix's passing and ability off the ball. He said he believes Diskerud will grow into his role for New York.
- Berhalter made the point that if Crew SC acquired Diskerud a year ago, the club would not have gotten Kamara. "I think we made out okay." The head coach/sporting director said he learned a lot from the Diskerud deal that didn't go through.
- Asked about managing this double game week, Berhalter said this is a potential playoff scenario where the team may have to play in a tight window. He called Crew SC one of the more fit teams in the league and said they are fairly healthy.
- Emanuel Pogatetz road the stationary bike in practice today. Berhalter said they were taking it easy with him and they aren't sure how he'll turn out. They'll see how he is tomorrow.
- Berhalter said Federico Higuain wasn't at training today because his family is having a baby.
- The head coach also said Harrison Afful was full go.
- Goalkeeper Steve Clark was sick today, but should be fine for the game on Wednesday.
- Gastón Suaro should be in Columbus Thursday.