After heavy rainfall all morning, Columbus Crew SC got a bit of a reprieve as Mother Nature let up to slight mist in the afternoon.
The Black & Gold trained later than normal due to the team's flight to Orlando for Tuesday's U.S. Open Cup contest.
When the media entered the EAS Training Center, practice had finished, but head coach Gregg Berhalter took time to talk to the media before jetting off for Florida.
Conversation with Berhalter
- The head coach said the team is healthy after Saturday and ready to go for this week.
- Asked about Adam Bedell and other reserve players who played in the fourth round of the Open Cup, Berhalter said Bedell did well last round and that helped him (he made the bench for Saturday's game with Real Salt Lake) and it was valuable for him.
- Berhalter said the staff did not take Tuesday's game into consideration when making lineup decisions last weekend.
- Looking back at the 2-2 draw with Salt Lake, Berhalter said mentally the team was mixed because they wanted more from the game with how they conceded the goals and some of the team's moves that didn't end up in goals. He said physically, the guys were tired but felt like they gave everything.
- Of the New York Red Bulls, Crew SC's Saturday opponent, Berhalter said they got their confidence back in recent results. He said the team was disappointed how it played last time against New York and they want to play their game.
- He called the Red Bulls a decent group and a good team. He said they showed character after going down early against New York City FC and coming back by playing a great second half. He said they will be ready.
- Berhalter said half the team did regeneration today and half of the team did full training.
- Asked about the roster deadline on Wednesday for guaranteed contracts, Berhalter said they are "all the way there." There have been no changes made and they don't plan to make any as of tomorrow.
- Berhalter said midfielder Wil Trapp could potentially play this week. He said he's not needing to pass any more concussion tests, but has to get his fitness and game rhythm back. Berhalter said it's big to get Trapp back with Kevan George leaving for the Gold Cup. The depth has been tested at that position this year and having Trapp back will help.
- Berhalter was asked about Tony Tchani's goal from Saturday and he said it was the timing of the move that was good, pointing to how it began in the back with Tchani and had 20-some passes. He called it one of the better moves all year.
- Berhalter said they would like to have the front four to provide the bulk of the scoring, you want some set pieces goals and some goals from defenders, and then anything you get from the two central midfielders is important and can win games for his team.
- Berhalter said Cedrick hasn't arrived yet, but he'll be in town this week.
- The head coach expects a full Orlando City SC team on Tuesday as City didn't play over the weekend.
- There's not a lot Berhalter and his team can take from the last game because of the early red card.
- Berhalter said the staff will put a group on the field that can win a game Tuesday night. They believe in everyone on the roster.