It was a hot day in Columbus, but that didn't stop Columbus Crew SC from training hard after a day off on Wednesday.
The Black and Gold were just finishing up as the media entered the compound at the EAS Training Center. The players that walked to the locker room were dripping in sweat in what must have been an intense end to training.
A few players remained on the field, such as Ethan Finlay and Hector Jimenez, who juggled together, and Kei Kamara (sporting a new haircut), who snuck up behind Finlay and dumped a bucket of water on his head.
Conversation with Gregg Berhalter
- Berhalter said he thought his team has done well against the counterattack this year and that he considers the first goal conceded against D.C. United to be a set piece issue. He said the team has to be aware against the Seattle Sounders because of their attacking players and what they can do.
- Asked about young midfielder Romain Gall being left off the under-20 World Cup team, Berhalter said they are disappointed for him. He said Gall has to use this disappointment as fuel to get better so he cannot be left off future teams. He also pointed out there are many great players who didn't play in the U20 World Cup.
- Berhalter was asked if Gall would be a candidate to go on loan to affiliate club, the Austin Aztex. He said they would do something to find him playing time if Gall wasn't going to get minutes in Columbus.
- About Chad Marshall, who makes his first appearance at MAPFRE Stadium since Berhalter traded him, the head coach said he wouldn't focus on a tactical reason for moving the defender, but rather he needed a fresh start. He said it worked out for everyone because it allowed Crew SC to sign Michael Parkhurst and Giancarlo Gonzalez.
- Berhalter said he hopes his team is amped up for this game with a likely big crowd on hand due to several big-name Sounders players coming to town. The focus in on the opponent, but there is an opportunity for Crew SC.
- Berhalter said they're already doing things to adjust to the heat. Cut training time short today and did more film work.