Some of the Columbus Crew SC players were already inside by the time the media entered the EAS Training Center, but several remained.
The forwards and some attacking players worked on making runs in behind the defense and finishing one v. one with the goalkeeper. Aaron Schoenfeld had a nice play and finish that got the applause of head coach Gregg Berhalter.
On the other end of the field, a collection of players worked on a passing drill that looked to be focused on long balls or crossing.
Berhalter spoke with the media when the session completed.
Conversation with Berhalter
- The Crew SC head coach was asked if he watched last night's 1-1 draw between the Montreal Impact and Club America, the first leg of the CONCACAF Champions League Final. He said he watched it and called it fantastic and that it's great they are representing the league this far and they have a chance to win the tournament.
- Asked about practice this week after last Saturday's 3-0 win, Berhalter said they respect every opponent in the MLS and they don't take any team for granted. He also said who knows how the Orlando City SC game would have looked if the sides had remained even and they realize they still have work to do.
- There are very few guys that are guaranteed starting positions on this team, according to Berhalter, and this keeps guys on their toes.
- Berhalter said he doesn't know if left back Waylon Francis could have gone 90 minutes if needed in the last match. They took him out of the game for medical reasons. He's doing fine now.
- Berhalter said the Sunday college scrimmages they've been having, which will end shortly due to the spring season ending, have been fantastic. He said it keeps the group game sharp and allows them to execute. They will look to lower division teams once they can't play college competition any longer.
- Wil Trapp is getting better, but still receiving treatment. The midfielder started light activity ("maybe swimming"). Berhalter said he's progressing.
- The head coach was asked about season ticket holder who have been around for all 20 years and what kind of commitment that takes. He said he's met some of those fans and it's fantastic to have conversations with them because they have a wide perspective on the club. He said those people are a big part of the club's history. Berhalter could only come up with his family as something he's been a member of for 20 years.
- The team's DNA is trying to get the ball back as soon as possible when they lose it and they want to continue to develop that.
- Berhalter said the Philadelphia Union has given Crew SC some good games because they are a good team. The Black and Gold are preparing for Philly's high press that's caused issues in the past.