Columbus Crew SC returned home for training for the first time in over a week after a two-game road trip. The club was out at the newly renamed EAS Training Center in Obetz as they prepare for Orlando City SC this weekend.
When the media entered the grounds, it was quickly obvious that everyone was not participating in the drills. Rookie defender Sergio Campbell was on the stationary bike just off the main filed. Left back Waylon Francis, who missed the last two games with a sprained ankle picked up while with his national team, was running along the far field and came over and rode the bike towards the end of the session. Justin Meram, Tyson Wahl, and Wil Trapp were not present.
Conversation with Gregg Berhalter
- The Crew SC head coach was first asked about Wil Trapp. He said the central midfielder stayed in Providence, where he saw a specialist for his concussion-like symptoms. This is to get him the best possible care and help him recover quickly. He called the situation day-to-day at this point and said the concussion was classified as a one on a scale to 10 (one being the least serious).
- Berhalter was asked about preparing for expansion side Orlando City. He said they've watched all of Orlando's games this year and think they have a good feel for the team.
- Kaka is a player you have to limit the damage. He's going to do some good things, according to Berhalter, because he is a good player. He said he thought it was great when Kaka joined the league because he's an excellent player and cares about investing in soccer in America.
- Berhalter is pleased with the depth at his outside backs, which has been tested this year already with starters Hernan Grana and Waylon Francis missing time. Berhalter mentioned he thought Chad Barson did a really good job coming into the last two games as a substitute.
- Waylon Francis is day-to-day with the ankle sprain.
- Berhalter said the plan was always to rest center back Emanuel Pogatetz for one of the games last week and not have him travel across the country.
- The head coach said Justin Meram took part in the early part of training but they've limited him some due to his work load with Crew SC and the Iraqi national team. Tyson Wahl, who had a corn taken off of his foot, was held out of the finishing exercises at the end of of training.
- Berhalter said the goal for this week is to continue to develop and they are making progress.