The Seattle Sounders had not lost a game when taking the lead first since 2010 until Saturday. After Kenny Cooper put the Sounders up 1-0 in the first half, the Crew battled back through a Federico Higuain penalty kick and a stoppage time goal from Justin Meram.
Here were some of the thoughts of each team's head coaches.
- The Columbus Crew's head coach said he thought it was a good enough game that he would have probably paid for a ticket with the back and forth nature, especially in the first half.
- Said it was great to get the late winner and that was a great result for the team.
- They wanted to play their game and knew it was going to be tough. Said the team kept going even when things were sloppy.
- Said goalkeeper Steve Clark made some good saves and they know he has that ability. Called him a "fighter."
- Said the wet turf allowed them to play their game because they want to be a quick-moving and possession team, zip the ball around.
- He said this team wanted to grow and that they've made strides in every game they've played so far this year. Said the guys accepting the way they want to play has been the key because if they don't, it won't work.
- Berhalter didn't want to comment on the penalty kick call. Said it was the official's job to make the call.
- In regards to Toronto F.C. next week, Berhalter called them a good team. Pointed out that they also proved they could win in Seattle and they know it will be another tough game.
- Said he told Justin Meram to score a goal before he entered the game and he did. Joked that that's his coaching strategy.
- Said he was disappointed in the result and that his team deserved better than a loss. Thought they created some really good chances and they probably could have scored more than one goal in the first half.
- Called the penalty kick and red card a crucial play. Said the Crew make it hard to chase because of their possession and being down a man makes that even more difficult.
- Addressed the issue on the final corner kick, stating that the official usually moves outside the 18-yard box and it appeared he was talking to the Sounders' players. Said it was unusual to let the play go while doing that, but noted he did that earlier as well. Did say the play needs to be stopped if the official is talking to the players.
- Said he didn't see the red card play but talked to someone who said Djimi Traore kicked Dominic Oduro from behind. Wasn't sure it should have been "double jeopardy" with a penalty and a red card given the way other games have been called.
- Knew that Columbus would spread the field and believed if they could intercept passes, they could counter attack quickly. Said they knew they would be able to attack the flanks due to the outside backs getting forward and that's how their goal occurred along with other chances from the first half.
- He thought his team did well playing with 10 men for more than 30 minutes. Said they were still able to attack and made some substitutions to hang on, but were unable to in the final 10 seconds.