After a season-opening 3-0 win over D.C. United, the Columbus Crew took down the Philadelphia Union 2-1 in front of their home fans. The Crew took a 2-0 lead into halftime break after two goals from Bernardo Anor, but had to hang on in the second half as the Union piled on pressure.
Here are the thoughts from the two head coaches.
- The Columbus'head coach said he told the players this win might have meant more than the first because of the adversity they faced. Said he was proud of the guys with how they hung in there.
- Said Philadelphia played great in the second half and pointed to duels won and crosses served.
- He said that Bernardo Anor's second goal was obviously good, but may have made them a little complacent in the second half. Believes Anor is someone who can score and someone they count on for goals.
- Believed the team was off a little bit with their positions in the first half that could have hurt the opponent further.
- Said they realized the Union was vulnerable on corners and they were looking to exploit that.
- Stated when they turn the ball over in the middle of the field, the defense is going to be put under pressure. They have put the center backs in some uncomfortable positions and they responded well.
- Called the fans fantastic and was happy with his first game at Columbus Crew Stadium as a member of the Crew organization
- On Dominic Oduro coming off the bench, Berhalter said he thought Jario Arrieta was doing well and wanted to stick with him. Also said that Hector Jimenez and Anor were playing well. Players can help the team no matter the minutes they play.
- This was not their best game, but the coach believes they are going to get better for having to grind out a result.
- The team knows that there will be mistakes when they play this way. Berhalter says they want to have to play out of pressure. It takes a lot for the center backs and Wil Trapp to play this way but the team wants to do that.
- Says they should be proud of being the first team in Crew history to start 2-0. This team has put together a good run including preseason and they are proud of it.
- Berhalter is excited to go out to Seattle next week. Said it will be a good challenge and they are going to use the grit they showed against Philadelphia.
- The Union's head coach said the Crew's attack gave them trouble early on but thought they handled it well until the corner.
- Believed they did well to battle back and created plenty of chances, but were unable to finish them and pull the game level.
- Said Leonardo Fernandes gave them a spark off the bench. He really thought he was going to get a second goal after the opportunities he was a part of.
- He said it was a little difficult scouting Columbus because of the new staff and players. Believed playing them in preseason helped a little because they had seen some of what this team wants to do.
- Said the Crew wanted to spread the game out and Philadelphia wanted to press. Believed both teams were successful in creating chances in the way they wanted.
- Isn't happy that his team has given up multiple set piece and extra time in half goals. He said they want to solve that because they were strong up until they fell behind.
- Said on the second Crew goal that it was an unnecessary turnover in their own half and they got punished for that.