clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Vancouver Beats the Crew 2-1

A goal by Arrieta wasn't enough to get points in British Columbia.


The test against the Vancouver Whitecaps was always going to be a tougher game than last week's match against Chivas. The home crowd would be rabid, firmly behind a team that a rebuilding Toronto FC team. Ulitimatly, the Crew didn't pass, losing 2-1.

The difference was immediate. In the sixth minute, Daigo Kobayashi drove a 40 yard shot that caught Andy Gruenebaum off his line. The blast was just out of the Crew 'keeper's reach, giving Vancouver the early 1-0 lead.

The Crew would press to equalize as they put Vancouver under tremendous amounts of defensive pressure, forcing several turnovers.

A couple of Federico Higuain free kicks would test 'caps goalkeeper Joe Cannon. A Viana header would go just high right before Kobayashi's goal and Higuain's kick would sail through the area forcing an awkward save in the 35th minute.

Columbus struggled with the Vancouver possession game as the half went on, but held off the Whitecap attack until late. Nigel Reo-Coker blazed an open look well high of the goal in the 39th minute. Minutes later, Kenny Miller had his point blank shot blocked. Defender Brad Rusin's header hit the post, bounced back, caroming off of Andy Gruenebaum's face, hitting the post a second time. Finally, the ball was cleared by a prone Dominic Oduro.

Jairo Arrieta would provide a quick jolt as the second half opened. He took a Ben Speas feed and sent Cannon the wrong way. Tiying the game 30 seconds into the second half.

The lead wouldn't hold as just over 10 minutes later a marginal decision by Andy Gruenebaum to pass out of the back to Glauber would prove costly. The Brazilian was slow to turn on the ball and Kenny Miller dispossessed him. He smoothly finished the breakaway to make it 2-1.

Miller again led the charge to another goal, getting a breakaway chance in the 80th, but his cross found Erik Hurtado in an offside position and it was waved off.

Columbus had one final chance deep into stoppage time. Speas broke into a dangerous spot and whipped in a cross. Oduro was on the end, but had to adjust back and popped the ball well over.

The Crew fall to 1-1-0 with three points on their West Coast road swing. They open Crew Stadium next Saturday against San Jose at 5:30pm.