clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

New England vs. Columbus (Match Recap)

Crew goalie Andy Gruenebaum put in another strong performance against the Revolution, picking up his fifth shutout of the year.
Crew goalie Andy Gruenebaum put in another strong performance against the Revolution, picking up his fifth shutout of the year.

Both the Crew and the Revolution had some good opportunities to score in Foxborough on Saturday night, but were unable to succeed. The game ended 0-0, improving Columbus' unbeaten run in the league to six games.

Columbus lined up in a 4-4-1-1 formation. Carlos Mendes started the game in the center of defense but was subbed off at halftime for Eric Gehrig. Justin Meram started on the left wing, Tony Tchani started on the right, and Kevan George and Milovan Mirosevic held down the middle. Eddie Gaven played a withdrawn forward role, while Emilio Renteria started up top. New England lined up in a 4-4-2.

The Revolution almost scored within the first thirty seconds of the game, but Benny Feilhaber was unable to put his half-volley attempt on target after breaking through the left side of the box.

Much more after the jump...

After that early opportunity, the Crew dominated possession for the next ten minutes or so. Mirosevic had a low, long shot that New England goalie Matt Reis could only parry. In the 11th minute, Renteria sent in a cross along the ground that was just out of Gaven's reach.

A few minutes later, Jose Moreno broke free of the Crew defense after a nice through ball. However, Columbus goalie Andy Gruenebaum came off his line and successful quelled the possibly dangerous opportunity with a sliding save.

Gruenebaum continued his strong play in the 29th minute. Saer Sene blasted a shot from the top of the box with his left foot. The ball was heading toward the upper-right corner, but Gruenebaum's fingertips forced the ball onto the crossbar before it bounced safely into his hands.

In the 38th minute, Fernando Cardenas was put in on goal on the right side of the box. He blasted a close-range shot that Gruenebaum saved with his left hand after originally diving the other direction.

Right before the half, a Nemanja Vukovic free kick found Josh Williams' head, but the shot went over the bar. The first forty-five minutes ended scoreless.

The entire second half consisted of a few long-range efforts that never really looked to be a scare. The best chance to score for Columbus came in the 65th minute after Meram sent in a low cross to Renteria. However, the Venezuelan forward couldn't control his shot in front of goal, instead sending it way wide.

New England had a late push that almost gave them the full three points. In the 91st minute, Gruenebaum made another save, this time pushing a Lee Nguyen shot wide after the ball took a funny bounce on the turf. Two minutes later, A.J. Soares got on the end of a loose ball after a corner, but his volley sailed over the crossbar, allowing the game to end, 0-0.