The U.S. Soccer Federation announced that the Men's National Team will be facing off against Belgium on May 29th in Cleveland. The U.S. likely will have a top squad as they are prepping for two June qualifiers and the Gold Cup. It's a great chance to see the National Team, but does add to a worryingly busy week for American Crew fans.
- Sunday, May 26th, MLS League Match - Crew at New York: This is a Nordecke on Tour Trip with the bus heading up out of Columbus on Sunday morning, staying overnight and returning to Columbus on Monday morning.
- Tuesday, May 28th, U.S. Open Cup Third Round: The Crew enter the U.S. Open Cup at this round. Other Ohio teams like AFC Cleveland and Zanesville Athletic FC of the NPSL and the Dayton Dutch Lions and Pittsburgh Riverhounds of USL Pro would also play on this day if they win thier First and Second Round matches.
- Wednesday, May 29th, International Friendly - U.S. Men's National Team v. Belgium: A short road game with this taking place at FirstEnergy Field in Cleveland.
- Saturday, June 1st, MLS League Match - Crew v. Houston
- Sunday, June 2nd, MLS Reserve League Match - Crew v. Houston: This is currently on the schedule as being in Houston, but likely will be played in Columbus.
No team schedules five games in eight days, three games in the same amount of time causes problems for even some of the biggest teams, but for the fans of the Crew and the U.S. this will force important decisions about (tifo) rotation policies and a lot of discussions about bench (seating) options.
Even the fittest fan will struggle to stay in prime supporting shape with games coming fast and furious. The only hope is to get through the very busy front half of the schedule as unscathed as possible and rest for the league and reserve matches at week's end.
In all seriousness, isn't that an awesome week for Ohio soccer fans?